Fixing permission problems
The MSSQL plugin uses SQL Server's native backup method to create a backup of the database to a local file, which is then backed up to a remote machine using Syncrify. In order for this Plugin to work properly, you must modify file permissions on the folder where temporary backup takes place. In most cases, the path for this temporary folder is $DATA_FOLDER
Failure you set permissions correctly will result in the following error message:
Cannot open backup device 'C:\ProgramData\SyncrifyData\MSSQLServer\NameOfYourDatabase.bak'. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.).
Steps to modify permissions
The following instructions assume the temporary folder for SQL Server backup is $DATA_FOLDER
- Start Syncrify client and click Open Data Folder under the File menu.
- Right click on MSSQLServer and select Properties. Click here for a screenshot.
- Select the Security tab on the Properties page.
NOTE: You may not see the Security tab on Windows XP. In such case, Open Windows Explorer Tools
Folder Options View. Scroll down to Use simple file sharing and uncheck it.
- Click Edit to bring up the Permissions dialog box. Click here for a screenshot.
- Add NETWORK SERVICE for the user name. Click here for a screenshot.
- Grant Full Control to this user