8 Best Alternatives to BackupAssist
Given the importance of the security of sensitive information, businesses look for solutions that can help them store their data in a secure place. Backup software not only stores your data but lets you recover your business-critical data when something goes wrong with your systems or when it is time for a software upgrade. Having the right backup software ensures the complete restoration of your entire system.
BackupAssist: A Secure Backup & Recovery Software
is a backup and recovery solution for SMEs available as an on-premise, cloud, and hybrid software. BackupAssist offers three different products based on distinct business requirements and needs: BackupAssist ER for express recovery and response, BackupAssist Classic for backups for Windows, and BackupAssist 365 for Office 365 and IMAP mailbox backup.
BackupAssist Classic is more popular among its three products which is a customizable backup solution that can automate restoring tasks while ensuring your data's integrity. Thanks to its cyber resilience, the tool protects your system from hacking, malicious insider activity or sabotage, and ransomware attacks.
Furthermore, it provides users with essential protection with full server backup and disaster recovery and enables business continuity and compliance with different standards, including GDPR, HIPAA, and SOX. Also, the software is built by keeping in mind all skill levels so that anyone with even less Windows administration knowledge can use it.
While BackupAssist is a great backup solution, it does have some shortcomings that other tools can fulfill. For instance, BackupAssist is only available for Windows Server and not for Mac. Moreover, it doesn't offer any free version for home users.
- Type: On-premise/Open Source and cloud.
- Support: Community-based support. Dedicated support is available for a cost.
- Price: Starting at €15/user/month.
Features to Consider
Having to choose between different secure backup tools is a hectic task, and the proliferation of numerous solutions makes it more challenging for users to select the right one. Here, we will discuss selection criteria (different selection features, for instance, cost) you can consider while looking for a secure backup tool.
Following are the systemic and non-systemic features you should consider.
Systemic features include the following.
- Security/Encryption: Security has become critical in today's cyber threat landscape. Explore whether or not the backup tool is secure enough to manage your confidential data. Does it offer any encryption? How does it protect data?
- Privacy: User privacy is essential, and you must consider this feature while looking for a secure backup solution. Figure out what kind of privacy controls the tool offers.
- Integration with ongoing infrastructure: Businesses today rely on different infrastructures, including cloud and on-premise. It is essential to consider the tool's deployment features and whether or not it can be integrated with your existing environment.
Non-systemic features include the following.
- Cost:Explore different pricing plans of the tool. Figure out if the backup tool has to offer any free version.
- Support: This is another critical feature to consider. Discover what kind of support is provided by the developer, and via which communication channels support is available, such as email, phone, chat, or ticketing system.
- Development: How actively do the developers contribute to the development or upgrade of the software? Is the software actively updated? Are patches regularly fixed?
Best BackupAssist Alternatives
Go through the list to know about the best BackupAssist Alternatives.
Developed by Synametrics Technology, Syncrify
is a cloud-based backup and synchronization tool that lets users securely backup their data and synchronize it. Its multi-platform support makes it work on Windows, Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X.
The tool is available as a free version for home users as well as a paid version for business users with a 30-day trial period. The secure solution integrates several security features to enable a secure connection between client and server, including SSL and HTTPS.
Furthermore, Syncrify allows users to back up unlimited data without the need to worry about data limit and size. Also, it lets you synchronize files and folders across multiple machines, enabling changes on each synced file.
Syncrify is well known to take care of users' privacy and doesn't let any third party involve and access your sensitive information. Also, professional users only have to pay once for the tool and enjoy lifetime access to the secure backup solution.
- Type: Cloud Based.
- Support: Phone and email support
- Price: Free for home users, and a perpetual license starts from $49 for a single machine.
is a cloud-based/on-premise backup tool that lets users enjoy great backup features for their distributed systems, virtual machines, and applications. The fast and secure software enables data protection using different security capabilities, such as ransomware protection, access controls, encryption, etc.
You can also schedule automatic backups for your remote servers and customize the solution as you want. However, NovaBackup does lack file-syncing capabilities.
- Type: Cloud & On-premise.
- Support: Support is available through the ticketing system.
- Price: Starts from €39.95 per year for a single PC and €159.80 per year for up to 5 PCs.
A cloud-based backup solution, Carbonite
helps home users, professionals, and SMEs protect their data in a secure place. The automatic cloud backup uses advanced encryption capabilities to secure your data at rest and in transit. Also, it enables ransomware protection so that you never lose your data due to a ransomware attack.
Carbonite's multi-system availability makes it support various systems, including Windows 7, 8, and 10, Mac with OSX and above, Microsoft, My SQL, Oracle, and Hyper-V.
- Type: Cloud-Based.
- Support: Support is provided through different channels, including email, phone, customer support portal, etc.
- Price: Basic plan for professional users starts from $6/month for 1 to 3 computers with limited features.
is a SaaS-based platform that enables data backup, disaster recovery, as well as cyber resilience to securely backup and protect your data against cyber threats. With Druva, you can back up your multi-cloud deployments, on-premise data centers, and hybrid workloads. Also, it enables ransomware recovery using its advanced ransomware protection capabilities and encryption.
- Type: Cloud/On-premise/Hybrid.
- Support: Support is provided through different means, such as a knowledge base, community, support portal, and Druva Academy.
- Price: Prices vary based on different infrastructures. Learn more.
is a backup and recovery software that supports diverse workloads, including but not limited to VMware, Windows, Linux, Hyper-V, SQL Server, Azure, etc. The tool is easy to use and can be configured and managed through a centralized web-based user interface to back up your entire IT environment. Also, it protects your data against ransomware attacks and replicates a copy of your backup data to a secondary disk, cloud, offsite, or tape to recover your data from any disaster.
- Type: On-prem/Hybrid/Cloud.
- Support: Support is provided through the ticketing system.
- Price: Prices vary based on your infrastructure. Learn more here.
Cove Data Protection, formerly known as N-able
, is a cloud-based data backup and recovery solution that enables businesses to accelerate their backup management and benefit from Cove's backup services. The solution is cyber-resilient and provides protection against several threats, including ransomware, theft, data corruption, etc. Moreover, your data is secured at rest as well as in transit using enterprise-grade encryption (AES 256-bit). Also, Cove can provide you with optional local storage where you can keep a second copy of your backup data.
- Type: Cloud-Based
- Support: Support is provided through forums, live chat, email, and phone.
- Price: 30-days free trial version is available.
is a secure backup and recovery tool that helps you backup sensitive data. It provides businesses with several restore options to recover their data, such as bare metal recovery, fast image-based recovery, etc. Also, Barracuda is a secure solution since it uses enterprise-grade encryption to protect your data at rest as well as in transit. Furthermore, the tool is available as software and a physical appliance that can be deployed in your virtual environments to enable you to streamline backup management.
- Type: Local and offsite.
- Support: Community, phone, as well as web support is provided.
- Price: Pricing depends on your preferred choice of storage capacity and other factors. Learn more here.
provides advanced backup capabilities to users protecting their data from threats across physical, virtual, cloud, and mobile environments. Also, the tool enables file and disk-image backup to back up any file. You can use Acronis to back up and recover systems, apps, and systems from any incident, including natural disasters, theft, data deletion, etc.
Furthermore, Acronis provides flexible storage capabilities to let you choose the storage that suits your needs, including NAS, tapes, SAN, Acronis Cloud, or any other private cloud such as AWS, Google, or Azure.
- Type: Cloud & On-premise
- Support: Chat, email, and phone support is provided to customers.
- Price: Starting from $65 for 5 GB of Acronis Cloud Storage with a free trial
The presence of various backup solutions in the market makes it hard to choose the right tool that is well-tailored to your personal and business needs. Here, we have presented a list of the best BackupAssist alternatives that are not only secure but also cost-effective compared to other pricey tools. Securely storing data in a secure place is critical in today's threat landscape. Get your hands on a secure backup tool so that your data remains protected even in the case of a security incident.