Restoring files (to a different machine)
Often users want to restore files that were backed up from a different machine.
The following steps demonstrate how to accomplish this task using Syncrify.
- Files from machine 1 were backed to a Syncrify server.
- The backup profile name on machine 1 is Profile1
- You want to restore these files to machine 2
- The screen for Syncrify client on machine 1 looks like:
- Two folders: C:\temp and C:\data\temp are included in the profile.
The objective is to restore two folders that were backed up on machine 1
to machine 2
. To make this example more interesting, we will restore the contents of C:\data\temp
from machine 1
on machine 2
. The following table displays the actual paths on both machines.
are called the top-level folders.
The simplest way to restore one or more files to any machine is to connect to Syncrify server using a web browser and download files that are required. To download any file, you can either click the right mouse button or simply double click it.
This method, however, is not very convenient if you have to restore many files. That is where method two comes in.
Method 2VERY IMPORTANT:
Read this document in its entirety before using this method.
Following steps demonstrate how to restore a backup created on a different machine.
- First, install Syncrify client on the machine 2.
- Ensure you can connect to Syncrify server from this machine
- Create a new profile and name it Profile1, which is identical
to what the value is on machine 1.
The easiest way to do this is to specify the server URL, login email, password and click the button with magnifying glass
- Select the desired profile from the pop-up window
- Check the box for Restore Profile
- Next you chose the location of the files on the new machine. Click Ok if the paths are correct or click the desired cell
to change its location.
- Finally, click the Restore button.